Grapefruit Season

We have a tree in our back yard which gives us these delicious white grapefruits all year around. However, since my family and I spend most of the winter cursing at seagulls and catching rain water from the skylights - we only bother to pick them when it's warm.

And picked they were.
I ate all the unhappiest ones first.
My mother went on a frenzy. Soon our kitchen was filled with more grapefruits than anyone knew what to do with - stacked in bowls, in boxes, all over the counters. A Mecca of organic citrus. We ate them for breakfast, we drank the juice, I used them in my tea when we ran out of lemons. We gave them away to friends. We even marinated fish with some. I woke up naked on the roof of the community center - mouth sore, and partially blinded by juice - with a grapefruit spoon in one hand and a double barrel shotgun in the other. Oh God. Who did I kill?

It was out of control.

Needless to say, we picked them all. It is only now that I am in my right mind again that I can return to normal life activities like blogging.

Can't wait for next year.

-A.H.

1 comment: